Billings Civil Litigation Attorneys
Our Civil Litigation Practice
The civil litigation lawyers at Edwards & Culver go far beyond the pursuit of personal injury damages on negligence claims. We apply the same attention to detail and strategic understanding to the resolution of commercial and corporate claims, environmental problems, and consumer protection issues.
On This Page
- What Is Civil Litigation?
- What Happens in a Civil Lawsuit?
- What Is a Civil Litigation Lawyer?
- What Does a Civil Lawyer Do?
- Types of Civil Claims We Handle
- How Edwards & Culver Can Help
VERSATILE & EXPERIENCED TRIAL LAWYERS SERVING ALL OF MONTANA
Civil litigation refers to the legal process of resolving disputes between individuals, businesses, or organizations through the court system. It involves a legal action brought by one party, known as the plaintiff, against another party, known as the defendant, seeking a resolution or remedy for a perceived wrong. Civil litigation covers a wide range of legal matters, including contract disputes, personal injury claims, property disputes, employment disputes, family law matters, and more.
The civil litigation process typically begins with the plaintiff filing a complaint outlining the alleged wrongs committed by the defendant. The defendant then responds to the complaint, and both parties engage in the discovery phase, where they exchange information, gather evidence, and investigate the case. This phase often involves interrogatories, depositions, and document requests.
Following discovery, the parties may attempt to settle the case through negotiation or alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation or arbitration. If a settlement is not reached, the case proceeds to trial, where both sides present their arguments, evidence, and witnesses before a judge or jury. The judge or jury then determines the outcome and issues a judgment.
Civil litigation can be a complex and time-consuming process, requiring a thorough understanding of the law and legal procedures. It is important to note that civil litigation differs from criminal cases, as it primarily involves disputes between private parties seeking compensation or resolution, rather than criminal prosecution by the government.
Throughout the civil litigation process, it is common for parties to engage the services of attorneys who specialize in civil litigation. These attorneys provide legal representation, advice, and advocacy to their clients, guiding them through each stage of the process and working to protect their rights and interests.
A civil litigation lawyer, also known as civil suit lawyer or or trial lawyer, is a legal professional who specializes in representing clients in civil disputes and navigating the civil litigation process. These lawyers handle a wide range of legal matters that involve private individuals, businesses, or organizations.
If you are in Billings, Montana and require legal assistance, the experienced civil litigation lawyers at Edwards & Culver are available to help. They offer legal representation, guidance, and advocacy to their clients, ensuring that their rights and interests are protected at every stage of the process.
Civil litigation lawyers are responsible for advocating for their client's interests throughout the various stages of a civil case. They provide legal advice, conduct thorough research, prepare legal documents, and represent their clients in negotiations, settlements, and court proceedings. Their primary goal is to protect their client's rights, pursue favorable outcomes, and seek appropriate remedies or compensation for any perceived wrongs.
The role of a civil litigation lawyer can involve several key responsibilities:
- Case Evaluation: Civil litigation lawyers assess the strengths and weaknesses of a case, evaluate the merits of potential claims or defenses, and provide an initial analysis to their clients.
- Legal Strategy: They develop a legal strategy tailored to the specific needs of their clients, including the best approach to pursue, whether it be settlement negotiations, alternative dispute resolution methods, or taking the case to trial.
- Investigation and Discovery: Civil litigation lawyers gather relevant evidence, interview witnesses, obtain documents, and engage in the discovery process to build a strong case.
- Pleadings and Motions: They prepare and file legal documents, such as complaints, answers, motions, and other pleadings, to initiate or respond to legal actions.
- Negotiations and Settlements: Civil litigation lawyers engage in negotiations with opposing parties, their attorneys, or insurance companies to seek a favorable settlement that meets their client's interests and goals.
- Trial Representation: If a settlement cannot be reached, civil litigation lawyers present their client's case in court. They examine and cross-examine witnesses, present evidence, argue legal points and advocate for their clients' positions before judges or juries.
- Appeals: In the event of an unfavorable outcome, civil litigation lawyers may handle appeals, seeking a review of the case by a higher court and arguing for a reversal or modification of the lower court's decision.
Civil litigation lawyers possess a deep understanding of civil law, courtroom procedures, and the rules of evidence. They utilize their legal expertise, negotiation skills, and advocacy abilities to protect their client's rights and achieve the best possible outcomes in civil disputes.
The civil litigation lawyers at our law firm handle a wide variety of civil cases involving such issues as:
- Appeals in state and federal court
- Environmental spills and clean-up
- Antitrust or unfair competition claims
- Insurance litigation
- Corporate wrongdoing claims
- Intellectual property litigation
- Professional liability claims
- Corporate or partnership disputes within business ownership groups
- Consumer protection litigation, including class action lawsuits
- Commercial disputes involving sales of goods, personal service contracts, and loan transactions
- Business torts such as fraud, negligent misrepresentation, or advertising defamation
- Environmental litigation on behalf of businesses, families, community groups, and public entities
When you hire us, you can count on us for honest advice about the strengths and weaknesses of your legal position. In most situations, we can present a range of options and information about the advantages and disadvantages of each. We will work with you to explore every avenue to help find a resolution to your dispute.
Call (406) 215-4735 for Advice About Civil Litigation
Contact our civil litigation lawyers in Billings to learn about your legal options and the most effective ways of resolving your litigation problem. Our Montana lawyers represent businesses, families, and municipalities all over Montana on a wide variety of civil litigation issues. Most of our clients approach us as plaintiffs, but we can defend civil claims as well. The more complicated range of civil lawsuits can generate a flurry of counterclaims and cross-claims, so that the distinction between plaintiffs and defendants can lose much of its meaning.
“We can’t thank you enough for all the work you did for us. What you did for us was above and beyond, and it took a lot of stress off us.”- J. & D. F.
“The worst day of my life was quickly followed by the best one … the day my husband called your office to represent us. The day that Cliff, John, and Chris came to the house, I had a huge weight lifted.”- B.S.
“You are a gift to my life. Thanks for everything.”- M.C.