Billings Medication Error Attorneys
Medication Mistakes in Montanan Nursing Homes
Medication errors are a fairly common form of nursing home negligence. Many nursing home residents rely on pharmaceutical medications to treat and manage a variety of moderate to serious conditions, from Alzheimer’s to heart disease to blood pressure to dementia. Any medication mistake can, therefore, have devastating consequences.
Nursing home staff members, doctors, nursing assistants, and others who make these grave mistakes can be held responsible. If you believe your loved one was the victim of a nursing home medication error, contact Edwards & Culver to discuss your legal options during a free and confidential consultation.
Examples of Medication Errors That Commonly Occur in Nursing Homes
Nursing homes are required to abide by a standard duty of care. In regards to medication errors, the rate of mistakes must stay below five percent, according to Nursing Home Abuse Center. That being said, any medication error could be a sign of negligence, and the nursing home that is responsible could be legally liable for any damages that result.
Some common nursing home medication mistakes include:
- Administering the wrong medication to a patient
- Administering the incorrect dose (over- or under-dosing)
- Improperly preparing a medication (e.g. cutting a pill that should not be cut)
- Dispensing medication at the wrong time/off-schedule
- Failing to look at a patient’s chart prior to giving medication
- Failing to take into account drug interactions
- Administering medication incorrectly (e.g. having a patient swallow a sublingual pill)
- Failing to provide sufficient food/liquids with medication
- Skipping a dose (either intentionally or unintentionally)
- Failing to properly monitor the patient after administering medication
- Failing to administer medication altogether
- Giving a patient medication that has expired
Additionally, lab errors, improper analysis of tests, or improper documentation can all be forms of nursing home medication errors.
How Edwards & Culver Can Help
Nursing home negligence cases involving medication errors are extremely complex. Often, these facilities will go to great lengths to protect their doctors, nursing assistants, and staff. They may dispute your claims that a medication mistake even occurred and may blame your loved one’s injuries, illness, or death on outside factors, such as your loved one’s condition or age.
It’s important that you work with an experienced nursing home abuse attorney who understands how to investigate the facts and gather evidence in support of your claim. With over 100 years of combined experience, including an extensive focus on nursing home abuse and neglect claims, our Billings medication error attorneys are well-versed in the law.
When you work with our team, we can help you by offering:
- A free initial consultation
- Dedicated, one-on-one counsel
- Representation tailored to your situation
- Contingency fees—you owe nothing unless we win
We are a highly respected firm that is heavily involved in our local community. Our legal team has secured nearly $160 million on behalf of our clients in the past 10 years alone. We understand the challenges you face, and we know how to win.
Get in touch with us today at (406) 215-4735 to request your free initial consultation and case review.
“We can’t thank you enough for all the work you did for us. What you did for us was above and beyond, and it took a lot of stress off us.”- J. & D. F.
“The worst day of my life was quickly followed by the best one … the day my husband called your office to represent us. The day that Cliff, John, and Chris came to the house, I had a huge weight lifted.”- B.S.
“You are a gift to my life. Thanks for everything.”- M.C.